SENIOR HOUSING PROGRAMME
The Senior Housing programme is designed to provide affordable, long term, secure tenure in decent quality homes to older people in our community.
How it works
Senior Housing is a rental programme for those aged 65 years or older. The Senior Housing programme sits alongside either Affordable Rental programme or Public Housing Rental programme, with the key benefit being that this is a home for life. A Senior Housing tenant can remain in their home for life.
If a Senior Housing tenant sits within the Affordable Rental programme, the rent is set based on a fair market rate and an income based subsidy of up to 20% applied, where eligible.
If a Senior Housing tenant sits with the Public Housing Rental programme, the rent is set by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), as low as 25% of the household income, whatever that may be.
To be eligible to participate in the Senior Housing Programme applicants must meet the following basic criteria:
- The applicant must be aged 65 years or older.
- The property must be used exclusively as the household’s primary residence and must not be vacated by the household for any more than four weeks over a 12 month period.
- The applicant's combined household income must not exceed a certain level, which is determined by the size of the household, and an asset test also applied.
- At least one person from the household must be a New Zealand resident or citizen.
- Applicants must already be established in the district.
View our template Senior Housing Tenancy Agreement here. Please note that this is a template agreement only and may be subject to change.