SENIOR HOUSING PROGRAMME
The Senior Housing programme is designed to provide affordable, long term, secure tenure in decent quality homes to older people in our community.
How it works
A qualifying household has the opportunity to rent a QLCHT owned property indefinitely. The rent is set at a fair market rate and an income based subsidy applied, where eligible, discounting the rent by up to 20%.
As QLCHT is a registered Public Housing provider, some tenants may also be eligible to access an Income Related Rent through the Ministry of Social Development and only be required to pay 25% of their total income in rent. Click here to learn more about Public Housing.
To be eligible to participate in the Senior Housing Programme applicants must meet the following basic criteria:
- The applicant must be aged 65 years or older.
- The property must be used exclusively as the household’s primary residence and must not be vacated by the household for any more than four weeks over a 12 month period.
- The applicant's combined household income must not exceed a certain level, which is determined by the size of the household, and an asset test also applies.
- At least one person from the household must be a New Zealand resident or citizen.
- Applicants must already be established in the district.
View our template Senior Housing Tenancy Agreement here. Please note that this is a template agreement only and may be subject to change.